Oct 31 – Nov 1, 2019 in Denver, CO.
“No major auto company will sell a new car with an internal combustion engine by 2030.”
Tony Seba, “Clean Disruption“, June 15, 2014
“Only 27% of CTO’s surveyed believe their companies have mastered the processes and tools required for Innovation Success.”
PwC’s Global Innovation 1000 Report, 2014
“72% of “C Level” Executives surveyed say they are not out-innovating their competitors”
PwC’s Global Survey of 1,200 executives in 44 countries, 2017
“Executives agree on the importance of innovation but are often dissatisfied, and lack clarity on what the problem is and how to improve.”
McKinsey Global Innovation Survey, 2017
“Volkswagen AG plans to launch 70 battery electric vehicles over the next decade and sell 22 million of them.”
Volkswagen Annual Press Conference, March 13, 2019, Wolfsburg, Germany
“Executives’ sentiments on the global economy are the lowest in years, amid growing concerns over trade conflicts. Meanwhile, their expectations about conditions at home remain more negative than positive.”
McKinsey Global Survey results, June 2019
2-Day Transformation & Value Innovation Workshop
QUICK OVERVIEW ON YOU TUBE
Watch a 2 minute introduction to this workshop by Dick Lee (Value Innovations’ CEO) on You Tube.
If you view the video, it would be great if you would:
- Post a comment and
- Share the URL with others who you think would be interested in the Workshop.
Artificial Intelligence, robotics, and IoT are bringing major changes to all industries and the in-vogue term to describe this is disruption. At Value Innovations and iTRANSFORM we much prefer the term transformation.
Based on the early successes of three electric vehicles produced by Tesla Motors, starting with the Model S sedan launched in June, 2012, a group a Value Innovation SMEs committed to define a set of Transformation Axes that are bringing seismic change to the global auto industry.
We’ve learned a company must fully understand the Transformations impacting its businesses before committing to the development of new innovative services and products using The Value Innovation Process® (VIP).
PRIMARY GOALS OF THIS WORKSHOP:
- Help attendees understand Transformations Axes & their importance
- Use two examples: The Global Auto Industry and the US Healthcare Industry
- Showcase Text Mining Solutions software and how it can be monitored to text mine twitter
- Show how to deliver exceptional value to the Most Important Customer in the Value Chain using the VIP.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- “C” level executives and Managing Directors
- Small business owners (11-499 employees)
- Presidents and Vice Presidents
- Directors, Managers and Project Leaders
- Industry, government and education leaders and decision makers in all functional areas
WHO WILL BENEFIT?
- Any organization of any size
- For profits and not for profits
- Manufacturing or services-based organizations
- Federal, state or local government agencies
- Small Businesses
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- What a Transformation Axis is
- Transformation Axes are independent, already in place. The end state is defined and fixed
- Auto manufacturers, auto dealers and Tier 1 and 2 Parts Suppliers and all other key stakelholders have no control over Transformations.
- The process to develop Transformation Axes
- Transformation Axes define the boundaries of the forest for the industry and the seismic changes that are occurring, and will occur.
- How to monitor and track changes occurring in the Transformation Axes using twitter and TMS software.
- How long it will take to develop a set of Transformation Axes for an industry – It will vary but will be at least 3 months.
- Understand the 10-Step Value Innovation Process and how to use it
- How to identify your Most Important Customers (If you are a B2B company, they are probably not your direct customer.)
- How to uncover your Most Important Customers’ (MIC) unmet needs using three rounds of Contextual Interviews (12 MICs; 2 MICs/interview; 1h long; Interviews recorded)
- How to develop a Value Curve (see below):
- What you need to do to deliver exceptional value to your Most Important Customers
- Your best options on “How” to deliver that value
DAY 1 AGENDA (Starts at 8 am):
HOW VALUE INNOVATIONS DEVELOPED THE 6 TRANSFORMATION AXES FOR THE GLOBAL AUTO INDUSTRY
- Scenario Planning
- “What’s in Scope” and “Out of Scope”
- “Axes of Certainty” and “Axes of Uncertainty”
- What are the trends?
- What are the drivers?
- Took 6 months meeting 2x/mo.
- Published the final set of Axes in November, 2017.
- Key Learnings:
- The 6 Axes have stood the test of time
- The Axes force a company to define a new Purpose and re-define their strategy
- Who are the leaders and losers? Why? What must the losers do?
KEY FACTORS BRINGING SEISMIC CHANGE TO THE GLOBAL AUTO INDUSTRY
- Required investments for a legacy auto manufacturer are in excess of $10B/y to:
- Develop and manufacture bEVs, AVs and Connected Vehicles,
- Install the required infrastructure,
- Train those who will market, sell and maintain these new vehicles
- Similar investments are required in lower cost, higher energy density, higher power density and longer life Li-ion batteries: Target cost, $100/kWh.
- Understanding the power train (electric motors, Li-ion batteries, inverters, battery management systems)
- The reasons why Tesla Motors and BYD are the Top 2 manufacturers of bEVs in the world today.
- The path to L5 autonomous vehicles, the leaders today and when consumers will be able to purchase a driverless car.
- What auto dealerships will have to do to survive and thrive.
- Off road equipment manufacturers have been slow to develop machines powered by electric motors. Why? Is it because major cities have still not enacted legislation to ban the use of diesel-powered off-road equipment within city limits? Many cities in Europe have ZEV laws today, e.g., Amsterdam, Barcelona, Frankfurt, Hamburg, London, Oslo, Stuttgart and more.
HOW TO STAY ABREAST OF WHAT’S HAPPENING IN AN INDUSTRY (GLOBAL AUTO):
It is very difficult to stay on top of what is happening across the global auto industry across all 6 Transformation Axes
- Purchase reports from Deloitte, McKinsey, BCG, Freedonia, etc. but they typically focus on one subject, e.g., driver to driverless, and they are “out of date’ in short order.
- Read what the analysts say from the Wall Street Journal, Morgan Stanley, Bloomberg, etc. but they are looking in the rearview mirror.
- Read the latest stories in Automotive News, Wards Auto, Car and Driver, Motor Trend but they look favorably upon those companies that advertise with them.
- Do a Google search
We have found our most consistent source of information to be Twitter and TMS (Text Mining Solutions) software. Since February, 2017, iTRANSFORMTM has accumulated >1,500 files relevant to the 6 Transformation Axes.
To effectively use twitter, you need to identify all key players in the global industry including those organizations that report on, or influence the auto industry, e.g.,
- Auto manufacturers, Tier 1 suppliers, auto dealerships, others:
- Newspapers, periodicals, universities, regulators, consumers and thought leaders:
|California||CARB||Car and Driver||City of London||Der Spiegel|
|CleanTechnica||Die Zeit||Financial Times||Evannex||France|
|Frankfurt||Detroit News||Germany||Handelsblatt||Le Monde|
These lists need must be reviewed and updated together with a list of hashtags.
TEXT MINING TWITTER TO BUILD A RELEVANT, SEARCHABLE DATABASE
Why twitter? On average, around 6,000 tweets are tweeted every second.
Value Innovations has learned the best source of the latest information in real time is Twitter. No human being can process this amount of information. AI is needed.
WHAT IS TMS SOFTWARE?
Text Mining Software data mines (searches for specific words or sets of words) large quantities of text in many different forms, e.g., annual reports, 10-Ks, offering memoranda, scientific publications, newspapers, and reports and articles that are available on line, twitter, etc.
To effectively use TMS, we must enter twitter names and hashtags (refer to the tables above).
In the bEVCurrent example (see below), TMS text mined 68 tweets/min.
- This number is reduced by capturing only those tweets that have at least one name (e.g., @GM, or. @FT, or @SAE, or @NHTSA) and one hashtag (e.g., #electricvehicle, or #ICE, or #autonomousvehicle, or #regulation). We are following 240 organizations and 90 hashtags
- These collated/processed tweets are captured in a searchable database
- TMS software can be configured to display the information on each captured tweet that’s relevant, e.g., Group or individual who posted the tweet and the number of people following them, Tweet heading, Date/Time of Tweet, URL(s) to attached files, etc.) – see screen capture below.
This database can be searched using multiple filters to answer specific questions.
TMS SOFTWARE DEMO:
During the workshop we will be able to do a live, 45 min. demonstration with Steve Brewer, the founder of Text Mining Solutions.
DEVELOPING TRANSFORMATION AXES FOR AN INDUSTRY
There will be three 45-minute sessions.
Session 1: Review the progress to date in developing Transformation Axes for the US healthcare industry.
For Sessions 2 and 3 attendees will be divided into groups and tasked with addressing a set of questions:
Session 2: For the industry you’ve selected, what major changes are occurring, or are likely to occur? These changes could be in:
- Technology: Will there be winners and losers? Why? (e.g., in auto example, the transformation from the ICE to the EV).
- Marketing (e.g., in the auto example, moving from traditional print media and marketing on line to the use of social media. Tesla Motors spends $0 on advertising)
- Sales (e.g., in the auto example, moving from independent auto dealerships to company owned showrooms and the ability to specify a vehicle and order it on line)
- Pricing and Incentives. (e.g., Tesla Motors has price lists on its website and there are no discounts. There’s no haggling!)
- Service and Support, etc.
- What trends do we see occurring? Will they result in new end states? (e.g., in the auto example, concerns about air quality and human health are raising concerns about vehicles powered by fossil fuels).
- What are the enablers?
- Will legislation and regulations play a role? Will they drive new end states? (in the auto example, Norway has enacted legislation banning the sale of new cars powered by an ICE starting in 2025. bEVs in Norway today are already 55% of new cars sales (CA is 10%, the US is about 2%)
DAY 2 AGENDA (Starts at 8 am; Ends at 4 pm):
MASTERING THE VALUE INNOVATION PROCESS (VIP) AND CONTEXTUAL INTERVIEWING
Attendees learn how to follow the VIP and use the Vi tools in a series of five breakout sessions – teams are challenged to transform a commodity to a breakthrough.
- Introduction, Success Stories & The Most Innovative Companies
- Step 1: Define the Project
- Step 2: Value Chains and Identifying the Most Important Customer
- Introducing Aplicare – Who is their MIC?
- Step 3: Value Curves with Metrics and Value Curve examples
- Aplicare – Develop Value Curves for the purchasing agent and healthcare professional (HCP) – Breakout
- Slalom® Software to generate Value Curves
- Steps 4, 6-7 and 10: Contextual Interviewing of 6 pairs of Most Important Customer
- Aplicare – Develop “To Be” Value Curve for the HCP – Breakout
- Aplicare – How can we deliver the What? – Breakout
Each attendee will receive a copy of the book Value Innovation Works
Workshop price, date and location:
Dates: October 31 – November 1, 2019
Registration Fee: $2,495 for the first person; $1,995 for additional reps from the same company (includes lunches and breakfasts). We will invoice you through PayPal.
Have questions? Contact Dick Lee at +1-720-291-0758 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Workshop will be held at the aLoft Hotel (a Marriott Property), 15 minutes away from Denver’s International Airport. There’s free internet access throughout the hotel. The Aloft has a free shuttle service to, and from, the airport. You do not need to call, the shuttle is on a 30 minute schedule. Pick up the Shuttle on the baggage claim level (5) from Aisle 3.
Value Innovations has a $225/night room rate for workshop attendees. When you call to make your reservation, let them know you are with the Value Innovations’ Group. The Aloft is located at 16470 E 40th Circle, Aurora, CO 80011. Phone: +1-303-371-9500
Have questions? Contact Dick Lee at +1-720-291-0758 (email@example.com)Want to up your innovation game? Want to up your organization’s innovation game? Attending one of our Mastering Value Innovation Workshops is a great place to start. In 2016 we are going to change our approach. We will work with you to develop your own custom workshop that addresses your problems and you define the length and location. More information can be found in the Workshop Brochure.